Battletoads is a side-scrolling beat 'em up video game developed by Dlala Studios and published by Microsoft, released August 20, 2020 for the Xbox One and Windows through Steam. It is the most recent title in the Battletoads franchise and the first one in 26 years since the last title, Battletoads Arcade.
Gameplay harkens back to the original Battletoads, with the bulk of the gameplay focusing on side-scrolling beat 'em up action. The player can pick between the three toads, each having its own strengths and weaknesses in combat, and can change between them during levels. Vehicular levels are back in full force, with racing, shoot 'em up and even puzzle challenges distributed between the beat 'em up action.
After being locked up in a fantasy simulator bunker for 26 years, the Battletoads are no longer intergalactic heroes and have fallen into modern day obscurity. Unable to settle down for a quiet, simple life, they set out to once again defeat their old longtime nemesis, The Dark Queen, to regain their lost fame. But when they confront the Queen they find out she had been in a similar predicament as them, having also been trapped and losing her powers. In the end they decide to team up with her to take down an evil alien race called the Topians, who were responsible for trapping all of them and are now the current rulers of the galaxy.
- Action-packed adventure as iconic characters return
- Over-the-top combat with combos and hard-hitting morph attacks
- Wild, varied gameplay sequences for all types of gamers
- Hand-drawn animation feels like playing a cartoon
- Drop-in couch co-op for three players
- Hilarious story with cinematic cutscenes
- 4K: 4K Ultra HD not available on the Xbox One or Xbox One S consoles.
- Xbox One X Enhanced: Enhanced features for Xbox One X subject to release of a content update. Games information at xbox.com/enhanced.
- Xbox Play Anywhere: Play Anywhere on Xbox One or Windows 10 PC; PC hardware requirements may vary for games on Windows 10.
Levels and Bosses
|Act I: Toad to Nowhere|
|1||Feed the Fantasy||Porkshank|
|3||To the Queen|
|4||At the Carn-Evil|
|5||So That’s How That Works|
|7||Time For Plan B||Guardian|
|Act II: Pride and Prejuzitz|
|1||Toadshambo II: Re-Toaded|
|3||A Hard Axe to Follow||Axeley|
|4||The Trials of Pummel Horse|
|Act III: The Pimple Joys of Life|
|2||We Go High|
|4||Bigger Than It Looks|
|5||Reaching the Peak|
|6||A Rock and a Hard Place|
|Act IV: A Rash Decision|
|2||Finale||UTO and PIA|
- Transcluded from Battletoads (2020)/Achievements
A number of Achievements can be earned in Battletoads (2020).
In 2013, Phil Spencer from Microsoft's Xbox team mentioned his fondness for Battletoads while asking the fans what Rare games should be brought back for the Xbox One. On November 10, 2014, "Battletoads" was re-trademarked in the United States. Spencer appeared publicly in a Battletoads T-shirt in January 2015, just days after Microsoft Studios' Ken Lobb (creator of the Killer Instinct 2013 reboot) said they have plans to bring Battletoads and the other classic Rare series back "someday". The new Battletoads game was formally announced by Microsoft at E3 2018.
A gameplay trailer was shown at E3 2019. The game originally had a slated release date for Fall 2019, which had been since postponed. In July 31st 2020 the game got its latest trailer, with a release date announced for August 20th, 2020.
- Microsoft asks fans what Rare should do next, points towards Battletoads
- New Battletoads Trademark Appears In United States Trademark Database
- Xbox Boss Phil Spencer Teases New Battletoads Game - Niche Gamer
- Microsoft has Plans for Rare Games like Banjo Kazooie, Perfect Dark, & Battletoads - Niche Gamer